Followers

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ending

Yesterday the Head of School accepted my resignation as the Head Cross Country Coach at Berkshire School after the 2012 season.  I was an assistant under Twiggs Myers for 16 years and will have been the Head Coach for 18 years.  As the realization of not being actively affiliated with cc hits me I am a bit emotional because having run for 5 years in high school and junior high, trying to run successfully in college, finishing a 26 mile 385 yard obligatory marathon, running for 35 years recreationally, coaching 4 New England Prep School Championship teams, and having 6 undefeated seasons I know that I am not the young man who started my coaching at Berkshire in 1979.  We had a 63 meet win streak during the 6 years that my two sons ran for me and those heady days were wonderful, but the most important memory is of the harriers who persevered for whom running was very difficult.  Imagine finishing in 30 minutes in a race that was won in 16 minutes. Parents of the boy struggling to the finish line were always just as proud as the parents of those who completed their trek as like Mercury.  It is the effort that matters.  

I am sad that my time is up in this endeavor, but I know it is time.  Teaching in the classrooms of Berkshire Hall has become a passion that inspires me and the use of technology to engage the students is a new challenge that excites me. Old guard teachers/coaches need to let the young take over--but teaching is my domain and the young, bright, history teacher in the wings will have to wait to replace me for a few years, while I try and try and try to not ever be boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment