Followers

Thursday, August 2, 2012

sportsmanship

I played in the Kare Bear Golf Tournament with good friends yesterday and once again it became clear to me that winning is not as important as the play.  We had three players with 17 or higher handicaps and one player with about an 8 or 9.  In a scramble format we ended up 6 under par which was great.  All of us hit shots that were impressive at times when the other 3 did not, and this shared success was very satisfying.  Compete at you top - but know your potential.  Treat your opponents and team mates like family and play fair.  Sports equals companionship, so always strive to turn companionship into friendship.  The badminton teams who tried to lose to improve their opportunity in future rounds showed very poor judgement and sportsmanship in the olympics.  Did their country's force them to do this?  I can not imagine trying to lose unless you are playing a very young child at a childhood game. If I lose to my 2 year old grandchild at marbles I believe the world will not be a worse place. Do your best and you are always a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment