Followers

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cross Country

9/22/2012

Berkshire Boys Cross-Country @ the Canterbury Invitational in New Milford Ct.

A great group of gentlemen make up the Boys  2012 Cross-Country Bear Team.  The team looks forward to working so hard that we improve our times beyond belief, and so far the top seven - Sam Sabin '13, Derrick Burt '16, Peter Giordano '15, Sash Podolsky '13, Cody Turner '13, Alex Fuller '13, and Wesley Lickus '13 have done just that as they all improved their 3.1 mile times by a range of 15 seconds to 51 seconds in one short week while competing at the Canterbury Invitational on Saturday.  As their coach I told the boys that their goal was to make me as proud of them after the race as I was of them for having the courage to start the race. I say courage for I remember being their age and so nervous that I could hardly stand before the starting gun fired.  Led by Sam Sabin's  time of 18:46, who one week earlier was not able to finish our time trial, each runner pushed hard and improved vastly in one week. Burt and Giordano took just under a minute off their times and finished their first race knowing that the best is yet to come.  Podolsky, Turner, Fuller, and Lickus ran tough over the hilly, yet fair, trail to finish our day.  In  the 34 years I have participated in this meet we  have been treated with class and dignity when we won, and we received equal treatment when we were weak.  I believe the entire prep school community knows and respects the great job that the Canterbury School does and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service to our students.  I will miss "The Saints" in my retirement from the coaching ranks. At the end of the meet Berkshire School was honored by the Canterbury Staff as they presented an award, accepted by Coach Gulotta on behalf of Berkshire, for our years of carrying on in the Twiggs Myers tradition of sportsmanship and integrity. To be honored in such an unselfish manner was a great tribute to all of the Bears who have run in the 40 years of the Canterbury invitational.

No comments:

Post a Comment